Monday, May 5, 2014

Rawlins Letter #1


Saying goodbye to everyone in Greeley, Colorado was incredibly hard. Grandpa and Grandma Buss, Mama Liz, my island daughter (Sister Tafengatoto)...ahh...that was pretty rough. But the drive up to Laramie was surprisingly mellow. The roads had been closed all morning due to bad weather, black ice, bad visibility and such. They opened right as we were driving to Laramie and closed once we got through. Miracles. I got to say hi to Grandma Thompson in Laramie and one of my favorite members from the Sherman Hills ward was at her house when we randomly showed up!!!! Sister Trudy McCracken was there! It was neat coming back to an area I had been to before. Then my new companion, Sister Waite, and I drove our BLUE TRUCK (I've been hoping to drive a truck my entire mission and finally get to) out to Rawlins. Right as we were nearing town we got about eight text messages from a contact in our phone simply named "Moose"...off to a fun start! He is a member of our ward and took us out to dinner that night to welcome us to town. He has treated us to lunch and several meals since that time. The Relief Society President, Sister Welch, has also taken great care of us. Actually...everybody has taken such good care of us! This is the first time since anyone can ever remember that there are sister missionaries out here. Everyone is so excited to have us here and I feel lucky to be here! Sister Waite and I are still in shock about how fortunate we are to be the first sister missionaries out here.  There are two wards in Rawlins. We have one and another set of sisters we share an apartment with are serving in the other one.

Sister Waite and I don't have beds. There were only two in the apartment. We let the other sisters take them and we just crashed on the floor next to the space heater the first night. (The heat in our place didn't work until this morning.) Well, we decided to just sleep on the floor the whole transfer, haha! So every time someone asks us if we have enough beds we just say, "Yes, we figured it all out." Hopefully no one in town figures it out or we might get into trouble for not telling them. Members here would seriously do anything for us. Sister Waite is so cool. She and I think a lot alike and neither of us can turn down a challenge. That makes for interesting experiences.

We found an antler in the closet of our new home. I hid it in the microwave to surprise the other sisters. Then it was in the shower the next morning for me to find. Sister Waite and I put it in the foot of one of the sister's beds. Well, two nights ago I opened up our bedroom door, felt for the light switch, and right as I turned it on, something touched my face! I was so scared, my feel flew out from under me and I cut my hand on the vent. It was the antler! The sisters hung it from the ceiling! Sister Waite and I are scheming for where to put the antlers next!

Coolest experience yet: one night after getting lectured by how wrong we were, we were understandably feeling a little down. We had 20 minutes before it was time to head home and the thought to just go home early was pretty tempting. I turned to Sister Waite and said, "You know what's going to cheer us up? New investigators." I started driving without really thinking. Soon we were at an apartment complex that neither of us had ever seen before. We walked to the stair case and went up a flight. We walked right up to a door that had lights on, paused, and without talking we turned and went up another flight of stairs and passed several apartments. We walked straight to apartment B and knocked. Inside was the most amazing couple. We had the opportunity of teaching them right then. They had us over for breakfast and another lesson the following day. They have started reading the Book of Mormon and we meet with them again this weekend.

I've never felt so directed by the Spirit before!!!

Love, 
Sister Rashauna Hoer



No comments:

Post a Comment