Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Laramie Letter #11

After volunteering at Salvation Army.
 
A walk in the first snow...after doing service work.
 
A District photo...taken right before the sisters nerf-gun attacked the elders!
 
This is the affect Rashauna is having on other missionaries...
 
 
Transfer Information: Listening to the voicemail on Saturday night listed all the people that were leaving, where they would be going, and who was coming to Laramie. The last comment said what I had been dreading, "and Sister Hoer will be leaving....." What?!!??! No! My face was that of pure shock and terror, but Elder Reid continued with, "Naw, just kidding." Everyone said my face was priceless and I laughed along with everyone, relieved that I'd be staying in Laramie a little longer. I could gladly spend the rest of my mission here. It's fun being able to joke around with everyone. You get so close to people out here due to having so much common ground. That's my theory at least. So, Sister Da Voodie and I will be here for at least another 6 weeks, just in time to see A get baptized on the ninth of November. (That will be the last week of the transfer) I'm hoping we can stay for another one, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I would love to be here for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. I love the people here. 

We've been able to do a lot of service this week. At Salvation Army, Interfaith, Laramie Care Center, and the Laramie Soup Kitchen. I think the soup kitchen might be my favorite. It's fun being able to recognize so many people in Laramie now. I love smaller towns. 

While at the church building to eat dinner with the Relief Society Sisters of Laramie before the Broadcast, one of the Sisters in our ward came up to us and said, "there is a man here asking about the church." Apparently he had decided to come check it out at just the right time. We were able to take him on a tour of the church building and find out a little more about him. He was baptized when he was 8 years old but hasn't been to church in a looooong time. It was cool to hear that he was looking back into it because of his brother trying to get back and change his life around. We truly never know how our actions will influence others. It was inspirational to see how enthusiastic he was about wanting to go to church, wanting to meet with missionaries, wanting to get closer to our Savior. Then, after the Broadcast I felt the need to say hello to a specific Sister in our ward, T. I asked how she was doing. She quickly responded with, "Good. Can we meet sometime?" Well, of course. That's what we do as missionaries. I found out after she left that she isn't a member of the church..... I almost didn't do it, but after listening to such an inspiring broadcast, I couldn't ignore the opportunity to talk to someone that might need it. "Never suppress a generous thought" was on a block of wood in a woman's house down in Fort Collins and that line comes to mind every time I hesitate doing something like that. It always gives me the motivation I need. 

So many cool experienced happened this week, it's hard to remember all of them. We made some real progress with a less active family. The father showed up at church and came up to us after Sacrament Meeting and said, "Sisters, I read the chapter you asked me to read at least 5 or 6 times, then I just started reading the Book of Mormon from the beginning." That was really neat: seeing someone say they want to change and then act on it. 

The last hour of church was amazing. It was such a simple lesson, but very powerful. We talked about babies to start things off. How they make us feel and why? They don't do much for us let alone themselves. Why do we love them so much? They inconvenience us physically, financially, emotionally, etc. However, they melt our hearts whenever we hold them. That love is similar to the unconditional love Heavenly Father has for each one of us. No matter what we do or don't do, he loves us. Even though I'm sure we inconvenience Him frequently, he loves us. 

Love you all!! 
Sister Hoer


No comments:

Post a Comment