Friday, July 25, 2014

Rawlins Letter #12

An investigator's home that is actually more like a museum.

District Meeting -- our District Leader brought us awards -- I got poppers!

Doing service work at Frontier Prison.

Adorable Jillian's baptism -- she asked me to speak at it.

"Killing" Sister Zvirzdin -- meaning this was the last day of her mission :)

Our booth that we have in the park every Thursday during summer.

R came to visit Rawlins and took us to lunch! 

We found out late Saturday night that both Sister Waite and I get to stay here for the next 6 weeks! RAWLINS!!! I almost cried I was so happy The whole ward seems pretty happy about it, too :) Life is so great.

In fact, at the library this week Sister Waite was watching a video of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with headphones on. She apparently was getting really into it because she broke into singing. "Sister Waite, what are you doing?" She answered innocently, "What did I do?" I was laughing so hard I couldn't even tell her for quite some time that the whole library just heard her sing part of "They, The Builders of the Nation.":)

This week has been awesome. T is doing great and continues to learn more and grow closer to Christ. It's the most amazing thing to be a part of. We're over there all the time. I feel like part of their family and I was thinking the other day, I am part of their family. We are all part of God's family. I love moments that help me see that fact more clearly. I don't think I've fully internalized it yet. It's tough to wrap my head around some things. 

Wanna hear something crazy? Sure you do. We had an appointment in Wamsutter (a tiny town 40 miles west of Rawlins) so we go to get on I-80 to find out the westbound part of the interstate is closed. Uh...plan B. We decided to take these dirt roads south of town and started heading west, not really having a clue where we were going, but it felt right. We also knew that the train tracks and the interstate both led to Wamsutter, so if we stayed in between the two, we'd be fine, right? Well, we 
were cruising along and hit this crazy bump...not good. We checked out the tires, everything seemed fine so we kept going. I couldn't stop thinking about it though. It made me feel sick, I just knew something was wrong. Eventually we found a place to get on the interstate, checked the truck again, still fine, so we kept going. We went all the way to Wamsutter, had a great appointment, drove 40 miles back to Rawlins, had a few appointments in town, and right as we were pulling up to our apartment, the low tire pressure light comes on...

We woke up the next morning and our back left tire was completely flat. Sister Waite and I knew it was from hitting the hole in the dirt road the day before, however Heavenly Father helped us get to all our appointments and make it safely home. We both just couldn't stop thinking about what a miracle it was. Then we changed a tire for companion study, ha-ha! Bonding time, right?

Sunday was pretty incredible. Saturday we spent some time staining a family's fence. Father is less-active and his wife is kind of an investigator (open to listening, but not super involved). We didn't talk about church at all (we have previously, but not this time) and they showed up at church!!! I love seeing whole families at church. I love service. I love that family. Two ward missionaries each brought investigators. H was in town and came to church with us and ended up singing a musical number in Sacrament Meeting, as well.

On top of all that, R, our investigator that moved to Chicago is getting baptized on the 26th!!! He was in town taking care of a few things before leaving for good and took us out to lunch at Anong's Thai Cuisine (my favorite place to eat here). It was so good to see him again. We are so excited for him. 

Love, 
Sister Rashauna Hoer

No comments:

Post a Comment