Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Laramie Letter #9

This week was kinda slow. We had an amazing lesson with A though. She is keeping the word of wisdom still and we were able to have a beautiful discussion about the plan of salvation.

We had our zone conference on Wednesday, which is a meeting where all the missionaries in Laramie, Cheyenne, and Cheyenne East zone attends. It was a lot of business, but also had some really inspirational parts. I was also able to see Sister Gregory and Sister Haas again!! So wonderful. Two nights before the meeting, the Elders asked me if I would do a special musical number. I laughed until I realized they weren't joking. I immediately recruited all the Sisters serving in Laramie to sing with me. Sister Bible played the piano and we sang "Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer." It wasn't anything special, but it's difficult for the spirit not to be there with such beautiful lyrics.

I made some herbal tea after a long day/night of biking in the rain. I needed something to warm me up. The Elders stopped by to drop off some pants that needed mending, and since that night they haven't stopped calling me a hippie. Kaniesha, I thought you'd be proud.

We went to pizza hut for the lunch buffet missionary special deal on Thursday. C, a worker there, is awesome. I want to make him an employee of the year award or something and have all the missionaries sign it. I gave the training in our district meeting right after that. (I was told two nights before that I'd be doing this but only had time to study/prepare this morning because of zone conference). I had the opportunity of leading a discussion about effective study. I focused mainly on how we can invite the spirit into our studies. That is really what makes it an effective use of our time. Humility and patience were also points I tried to stress. What are some things you do to invite the spirit while you study?

Thursday night we walked to the institute to meet with our Ward Mission Leader, Brother Grant. (My bike and I aren't getting along too well). Walking home, it started raining. Then it started pouring. Then a man, walking the same direction as us passed us. I started a conversation with him and we were able to talk as we walked home in the rain. He considers himself an atheist, but openly shared that he is always studying religion, always looking for the truth. He is looking to prove himself wrong essentially. He then said how he has read several religious books and that the Book of Mormon was next on his list. Right about this time, we all got splashed, not once but twice, by cars driving through a puddle on the road. Just like the movies. It was great. We all laughed about it and kept talking. When it was time to part ways he expressed just how nice it was to talk to someone religious that wasn't overbearing and close-minded. We gave him our number and I sincerely hope that we hear from him again.

Friday, the Sisters and I decided that we wanted to have something to look forward to every single day of the week. So we came up with a schedule during lunch. Thrifty Thursday is just one example of how much more exciting our weeks are going to be. Thrift store clothes on Thursdays. Waffle Wednesday was another one we came up with. It's already taken effect and been a blast :)

We did a lot of service at Salvation Army this week and had fun trying stuff on occasionally while we worked.

So D, A's husband, received the Melchizedek Priesthood on Sunday. I teared up just thinking about how incredible their story is. They have a goal to go to the temple a year from when A is baptized. They have such a strong desire and I know Heavenly Father will help them get there as long as they continue to have that as their goal and act accordingly. Studying scriptures and praying daily, going to church, and serving others is what keeps us on track. It's all about the little things and looking for God's hand in our lives.

Yesterday we played soccer, capture the flag, and volleyball. I am tired.... I also made cupcakes for an Elder who had a birthday a while back. I promised him I'd make him some and they were very late but I made them blue, green, and yellow tie-dye to make up for the lack of punctuality.

Today, we have just been moving and cleaning all day. We switched apartments with some elders. We have been pretty crowded in our apartment with four of us and they only have two, so that's what we've been up to. I'm going to be pretty sad if I have to move again in just a week or so due to transfers, but whatever happens, happens right? Our new place is sooooo cute. I love it, and there is brand new carpet, and I have a bed!!! A real one, not a couch, haha.

Well, I hope all is well. I love all of you!!

Sister Hoer



No comments:

Post a Comment