Monday, March 11, 2013

Fort Collins, Colorado Letter #1

At the MTC...

...unloading Rashauna's suitcases...


...the traditional mom & dad kiss...

...one more photo before Rashauna entered the MTC.




The last few days at the MTC were full of good advice but one particular phrase that stuck out to me was from a member of our zone's leadership, Brother Ellis, who said, "Give 'em heaven!" I hope you liked that as much as I did.

We were waiting for our departing devotional to start when I saw a picture of Uncle Mike and Aunt Laurie greeting missionaries pop up on the giant screen in front of the room. Most of the people around me were sitting quietly so it was very noticable when I stated in my normal (which is kinda loud) voice, "That's my family!" I was so surprised. There was also an Elder Bryce Klabacka in my zone that knows Steve and Cynthia as well as another Sister who approached me at lunch asking if I knew who Chantre Hoer in Las Vegas. Well as a matter of fact, yes I do. She wrote her name on a napkin for me: Sister Melissa McElvany. My family is pretty remarkable. Case closed.

Anyway, the MTC was incredible and I've learned more about Christ in two weeks than I have in my lifetime. The more I learn, the more I want to be like Him. The more I want to slow down and trust Heavenly Father. The more I want to reach out to others and encourage them to do the same.

Perfect time to head out into the real world, right? Well I'm in Colorado! Fort Collins to be exact. We've just been doing a lot of door to door tracting. I've realized how much I enjoy a conversation with anyone about anything after getting so many people fearful to say more than a few words with us before closing the door. It's an exciting challenge though to bring the gospel into any one of those precious conversations. I have a few people committed to read the Book of Mormon and will be checking in with them later this week. A few of them have already snuck their way into my heart and I want more than anything for them to know what I know: that happiness comes through following Jesus Christ. One particular person is Pete. I really hope that I have more to share about him soon. Stay posted.

The Mission President and his wife are amazing people. They have so much respect for their responsibilities while serving a mission, but still have fun. My companion, Sister O'Donovan and I have acquired a similar balance and work really well together. The Stetson Creek Ward we are serving in is also incredible. I've really enjoyed getting to know the people here and it's only just begun.

Rashauna




No comments:

Post a Comment